We envision a thriving Middle East, in which all people live in peace and equality, free of violence, discrimination, and occupation.
The Canadian Friends of Sabeel project is committed to standing in solidarity with Palestinians, and raising awareness in Canada of the struggle of Palestinian Christians, while joining all people in Palestine and Israel striving for peace with justice toward reconciliation.
We are a Canadian Christian organization actively engaged in partnerships of solidarity that promote the perspectives and peace vision of the Palestinian Christian community. Rooted in the Gospel of non-violence, justice, peace and reconciliation, we work with communities of all faiths, non-governmental organizations and other like-minded networks and organizations to accomplish our goals. We focus on working towards a just and enduring peace for Palestinians and Israelis that will benefit the whole Middle East region. We carry out our mission primarily through education and solidarity projects in Canada.
Our Guiding Principles
We underpin our mission and vision statements with the following principles, which we glean from our association with the Sabeel Centre for Palestinian Liberation Theology and the international communities of Friends of Sabeel:
1. Heeding the voices and call of Palestinian Christians to bear witness to the ongoing injustice suffered by the Palestinian people (such as through the Kairos Palestine Document: A Moment of Truth).
2. We challenge the distortions of the Bible and theologies that lead to violence and racism, including anti-Semitism and Islamophobia, and condemn all acts of violence, whether done by nation states, individuals or groups.
3. We work for:
- A peaceful resolution to end the Israeli occupation of the West Bank, Gaza and East Jerusalem that allows the Palestinians to live as a self determining people, in accordance with international law and United Nations resolutions
- Equal rights and access to resources for all inhabitants of the region, based on principles of social, economic, environmental and political justice
- The right of return for Palestinian refugees in accordance with international law and human rights
- The promotion of principled and consistent Canadian government policies and actions towards ending the occupation
- The promotion of non-violent strategies called for by Palestinians, such as boycott and divestment.